Well not much sewing happened over the weekend but I did do some cooking.
I am in love with Tapioca puddings. The love affair started years ago and has continued with a few different flavours.
My favourite at the moment is with ginger.
3/4 cup tapioca pearls
11/2 cups milk
11/2 cups coconut milk
1 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste)
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon chopped crystallised ginger
200 ml thickened cream
1. Place the tapioca pearls in a medium saucepan with milk, coconut milk and vanilla bean.
2. Place over medium heat and stir continuously for the first few minutes and regularly after that. It will take about 20 minutes for the tapioca to cook to tender. The mixture will start to look like porridge when it is close to ready.
The tapioca expands when being cooked and will end up translucent.
3. When tapioca is almost cooked remove the vanilla bean (if you used a whole one) add crystallised ginger and sugar, combine well.
4. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature and then add thickened cream.
5. Divide mixture between 6 small bowls and smooth the tops. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar over the top and using a blow torch to caramelise. If you don't have a blow torch you can place under a grill that's been preheated to high. Set aside for 2-3 mins to harden, then serve.